TITLE IX: TRANSPARENCY
Article TRNSY.1: Objective
1. Recognising the impact that their respective regulatory environments may have on trade and investment between them, the Parties aim to provide a predictable regulatory environment and efficient procedures for economic operators, especially for small and medium-sized enterprises.
2. The Parties affirm their commitments in relation to transparency under the WTO Agreement, and build on those commitments in the provisions laid down in this Title.
Article TRNSY.2: Definition
For the purposes of this Title, “administrative decision” means a decision or action with legal effect that applies to a specific person, good or service in an individual case, and covers the failure to take a decision or take such action when that is so required by the law of a Party.
Article TRNSY.3: Scope
This Title applies with respect to Titles I to VIII and Titles X to XII and Heading Six [Other provisions].
Article TRNSY.4: Publication
1. Each Party shall ensure that its laws, regulations, procedures and administrative rulings of general application are promptly published via an officially designated medium, and, where feasible, by electronic means, or are otherwise made available in such a manner as to enable any person to become acquainted with them.
2. To the extent appropriate, each Party shall provide an explanation of the objective of and rationale for measures referred to in paragraph 1.
3 Each Party shall provide a reasonable period of time between publication and entry into force of its laws and regulations, except when this is not possible for reasons of urgency.
Article TRNSY.5: Enquiries
1. Each Party shall establish or maintain appropriate and proportionate mechanisms for responding to questions from any person regarding any laws or regulations.
2. Each Party shall promptly provide information and respond to questions by the other Party pertaining to any law or regulation whether in force or planned, unless a specific mechanism is established under another provision of this Agreement.
Article TRNSY.6: Administration of measures of general application
1. Each Party shall administer its laws, regulations, procedures and administrative rulings of general application in an objective, impartial, and reasonable manner.
2. When administrative proceedings relating to persons, goods or services of the other Party are initiated in respect of the application of laws or regulations, each Party shall:
(a) endeavour to provide persons who are directly affected by the administrative proceedings with reasonable notice in accordance with its laws and regulations, including a description of the nature of the proceedings, a statement of the legal authority under which the proceedings are initiated and a general description of any issues in controversy; and
(b) afford such persons a reasonable opportunity to present facts and arguments in support of their positions prior to any final administrative decision insofar as time, the nature of the proceedings and the public interest permit.
Article TRNSY.7: Review and appeal
1. Each Party shall establish or maintain judicial, arbitral or administrative tribunals and procedures for the purpose of the prompt review and, if warranted, correction of administrative decisions. Each Party shall ensure that its tribunals carry out procedures for appeal or review in a non- discriminatory and impartial manner. Those tribunals shall be impartial and independent of the authority entrusted with administrative enforcement.
2. Each Party shall ensure that the parties to the proceedings as referred to in paragraph 1 are provided with a reasonable opportunity to support or defend their respective positions.
3. In accordance with its law, each Party shall ensure that any decisions adopted in proceedings as referred to in paragraph 1 are based on the evidence and submissions of record or, where applicable, on the record compiled by the competent administrative authority.
4. Each Party shall ensure that decisions as referred to in paragraph 3 shall be implemented by the authority entrusted with administrative enforcement, subject to appeal or further review as provided for in its law.
Article TRNSY.8: Relation to other Titles
The provisions set out in this Title supplement the specific transparency rules set out in those Titles of this Part with respect to which this Title applies.