ATA Carnet Holyhead UK Post-Deal Guidance


Moving goods through the Port of Holyhead with an ATA Carnet

The Port of Holyhead cannot process ATA Carnets, so you’ll need to go to Roadking Truckstop when moving goods with an ATA Carnet.

Port of Holyhead

The Port of Holyhead will offer Office of Transit and CITES checks only. The Office of Transit function at Holyhead will be completed using the digital pre-lodgement model and any documentary or physical checks will also take place here.

RoadKing Truckstop

If you need to move goods under ATA Carnets, Office of Departure or Office of Destination you will need to go to Roadking Truckstop.

ATA Carnets

The ATA Carnet is an international customs document. It can be used to temporarily import and export non-perishable goods that are tax-free and duty-free for up to one year.

From 1 January 2021, if you’re moving goods inbound or outbound with an ATA Carnet through the Port of Holyhead in Wales, you will need to go to Roadking Truckstop to process your ATA Carnet.

Roadking Truckstop address:

Roadking Truckstop
Parc Cybi
LL65 2YQ

Opening times:
Monday to Sunday: 7am to 10pm
You must enter the ATA Carnet processing area no later than 9:45pm.

RoadKing Truckstop is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

You can get to Roadking Truckstop by exiting the A55 at junction 2.

You can use the Welsh Government’s live traffic alert service to check if there are any issues affecting traffic in the area.

Roadking can process your ATA Carnet, Office Departure or Office of Destination 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from 7am to 10pm. You won’t be able to enter the ATA Carnet area until 7am. The last entry to the ATA Carnet processing area will be at 9.45pm.

Transporting live animals under an ATA Carnet

When you tell the Border Force about your travel plans, you also need to tell them that you are transporting live animals. This will help them to prioritise the processing of your ATA Carnet.

If you’re a UK trader transporting live animals you’ll need to lodge a travel plan with Defra before you start your journey.

See Defra’s guide to live transport for more information.


The UK remains in the Common Transit Convention (CTC).

If you are moving goods under the CTC, the goods must:

  • start from an Office of Departure (a government office) or an authorised consignor’s premises (your own or an agent’s premises)
  • pass through an Office of Transit when entering a new customs area to allow the entry of your goods to be recorded
  • end at an Office of Destination (a government office) or an authorised consignee’s premises (your own or an agent’s premises)

Office of Departure and Office of Destination can be completed at RoadKing Truckstop, which is open 24 hours day, 7 days a week

Before you arrive

When your crossing is confirmed, you will need to let Border Force know when you expect to arrive at Roadking Truckstop. You must do this at least 24 hours before you’re due to arrive. You must also tell Border Force if you’re transporting live animals.

Email Border Force at:

Getting to Roadking Truckstop if traffic is diverted

Even if traffic is being diverted away from Roadking Truckstop, you will still need to go there to have your ATA Carnet, Office of Departure or Office of Destination processed. You will need to leave Roadking Truckstop as soon as it has been processed.

There may be times when outbound HGV traffic is diverted to Roadking, ahead of arrival at the port of Holyhead and you should refer to Welsh Government plans ahead of your journey.

Get more information about ATA Carnets

Find out how to:

Read section 2 of Notice 104 to find out more about ATA Carnets.

Published 19 September 2019
Last updated 31 December 2020