GB Farming Business UK Post-Deal Guidance


Farming businesses: working after Brexit transition

What you need to do as a farming business to trade with the EU.

Farm and rural payments: Basic Payment Scheme and Rural Development Programme for England

The Basic Payment Scheme is taking place in 2021, but there are changes to the funding you’ll receive and the requirements you’ll need to follow.

Read the BPS 2021 guidance for more information.

Importing and exporting

To import or export products between the UK and EU you must:

  1. Get a UK Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number.
  2. Decide if you want to hire an import–export agent, or make the declarations yourself.
  3. Contact the organisation that moves your goods to find out what information they need to make the declarations for your goods, or if you need to make them yourself.
  4. Check if your plants or animals or animal products are subject to any sanitary or phytosanitary import and export requirements.

Check the current rules for:

Moving goods between Ireland and Northern Ireland (NI)

Goods moving between Ireland and NI have different procedures compared with other UK-EU trade.

Read the guidance on customs procedures and VAT for goods moving between Ireland and NI.

Existing trade agreements with non-EU countries

EU trade agreements with non-EU countries do not apply to the UK.

Read the guidance on existing UK trade agreements with non-EU countries.

Changes to import tariffs

The UK applies a UK-specific tariff to imported goods.

Find out more about the UK Global Tariff (UKGT).

Arable and horticulture: plants and plant products

Plants and plant products (for example, plants for planting and seeds) that were managed under the EU plant passport scheme are subject to UK import controls.

Read the guidance on:

Seed exports

You need to list the seed variety you’re exporting on the EU Common Catalogue via a member state.

Livestock, animal products and high-risk feed

Read the guidance on importing and exporting live animals and animal products to find out how to:

  • import animals or animal products from the EU to the UK (including notifying the UK authorities)
  • export animals or animal products from the UK to the EU

Animal breeding imports and exports (zootechnics)

Unless the EU lists UK breed societies and studbooks, you will not be able to export animals to the EU on zootechnical terms.

Imports from the EU and domestic UK zootechnical trade are not affected.

Read the guidance on recognised breed societies and breeding operations.

Organic imports and exports

To import from third countries, you must use the interim paper-based system that will replace TRACES NT.

Unless the EU gives the UK official recognition for our organic standards (known as ‘equivalency’), you cannot export UK organic products to the EU.

Find out more about trading and labelling organic food.

Marketing standards

Check the guidance for the product you’re importing or exporting:

GB exports to the EU

If you export these products from GB to the EU, you’ll need to meet the requirements for third countries (non EU countries).

EU imports to the UK

If you import these products from the EU to GB, you’ll need to meet the specific requirements for your product.

Your employees

There are certain schemes and processes you should be aware of if you employ EU citizens. Find out more in the employing EU citizens in the UK guidance.

Food and drink labelling including organic produce

If you’re involved in the agri-food business, check the labelling requirements for food and drink.

Genetically modified organisms (GMOs)

Competent authorities in the UK implement controls on the environmental release of GMOs.

For more information, see guidance on the Genetic Modification Inspectorate programmes for:


You’ll can buy the same amount and quality of fertiliser for 2 years under the:

  • domestic framework
  • EC fertiliser label
  • UK fertiliser label

For more information, see the manufacturing and marketing fertilisers guidance.

Pesticides regulations

You must meet all regulations for producing or placing pesticides on the market. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is the UK’s regulator. Read the guidance on regulating pesticides.

Chemical regulations

If your business uses chemicals, you should:

Water regulations

You must meet the conditions in your permits or licences that relate to water.

For more information, read the water management guidance.

Published 31 December 2020